Saturday, July 7, 2012

Week 9 - You Call It Condensing...I Call It Content Curation or Just Plain Organising Stuff

If you want to manage your time then ignore Web 2.0...it is all engrossing, all amazing and seemingly never ending. Once again, my colleague and I today discussed why some web apps, web tools (call them what you will) rise to the top of the pile. Why Pinterest and not some other similar tool? Why Instagram and not Picnik? Anyway, we were just musing and that sort of fits in with this weeks blog about saving time and managing yourself on the web....:)

I like the idea of catching and condensing and I think that is what I already try and do every day so as not to miss out on interesting new tools, bits of information that may come in useful when talking to the boss or a teacher or deciding on a computer platform for the whole school! I lamented a few weeks back that Google notebook had disappeared and I had used this as a catching and condensing/read later tool and as a collaboration tool. I discovered just last week that all those notebooks are now Google docs


Clipped from Google Docs
Yeh! So much fab information and insights into still relevant ideas that I can now use again.

So, I've seemingly signed up for Strawberryj.am but am still waiting for contact so have moved on to paper.li. A few of my favourite tweeters use it. So I set up my account and then updated my lists (an attempt to streamline my reading of tweets!) in Twitter so that my streams into paper.li were more condensed and made sense. Shall see how it goes at The Skiing Librarian Weekly.

Still waiting for strawberryj.am email!!!! Not in the junk mail but am I suppose to do something else but try and sign up?

Checked out Topicmarks as this looks like a very handy tool as I read a lot of online articles as well as online journals (but these usually have an abtract to read). Added the url of an article about teenage brains that I want to read but I think I could have read it faster than topicmarks can summarise it (still waiting!)..hmmm...tried again....now giving up and tried Freesummarizer which worked in an instant (an no email signup..good). Article was great though and of much interest as I am quite intrigued by this area of research after reading an article in NG last year.

Well another module down (and no email from strawberryj.am nor has topicmarks summarised my article)...still great fun and I organised my twitter followers into lists so a productive module as well.






1 comment:

  1. Well at least you got some things done. not sure what's going down at the Topicmarks HQ lots of people have reported problems with them so sorry about that Megan! But glad you were productive anyway. Strawberryj.am does take a few days usually so hopefully not much longer to go for you!

    ReplyDelete