Sunday, July 1, 2012

Week 6 - Video Discoveries

As I mentioned in my last post about online video, I am amazed at the exponential growth of video content that we will probably consume in the future. I still can't believe that Cisco predicts  Australians will use 31 GB each per capita in 2016 (hmmm...will have to remember this stat when I update my smartphone plan!) I suppose though, when I look at my own habits of learning, I do a lot of my learning via online videos. It was quite recently that I had a discussion with a work colleague about YouTube and how we both now see it as essentially a tool for learning but that hadn't been the case when it first started out. It is a game changing realisation. Understanding its importance and its significance has many consequences for my current workplace  and I have started asking myself questions such as Is the best platform for the students the one that will enable their ability to create? (YES) and so become part of crowd accelerated innovation? (YES) How do we go about getting the IT environment right to enable students to seamlessly partake in these online learning opportunities? How do we get teachers to think of themselves as expert learners and so facilitate our students learning?  A simple first step is to make sure that all teachers here take the ed.TED.com tour and then facilitate a session where we explore it further.... ASAP.

 

 As they say in this video "the more you know the more amazing the world seems"... that passion is something I hope to instill in the students that I cross paths with along our learning journeys.

And by the way video didn't kill the radio star....great piece by Clive James re his radio interview being taking out of context by the print media...maybe you should call this module Video killed Print!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting isn't it, considering the changing attitudes towards video. If you were to ask your students which search engine they use to find out things you will probably find that for nearly half of them, the answer is youtube which really ays something i think about the way many of us prefer to learn. You have some very astute observations there Megan, your school is really lucky to have someone who examines and quantifies such technology as a way of building an implementation plan.

    Lol I could have called it that hey, but to be honest i just really like the Buggles ;)

    ReplyDelete