Saturday, July 21, 2012

Search by Image...Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Know About This Tool?

I am in the middle of completing a Power Searching with Google online course and Class 4 has just shocked me....I did not know you could do this with Google Images. Apparently this tool has been around since June 2011...ouch.  Thinking that this image recognition tool might be USA specific, I dragged in a photo I took when I was in Tahoe (skiing of course). Look at the results below

Tahoe Image Results Using Google Images
I was pretty impressed by the results I got. Some fantastic shots around Lake Tahoe, California and Nevada...makes me wish I was skiing!

Also found out that you can search images you may find on the web by right clicking on the image, copying the image url then pasting the url into the search bar. Your results should find you information about original image as well as related images.

From a teaching perspective it gives teachers a greater ability to ensure students find their images from copyright ok'd sources such as Flick CC. The tool will also help find images similar to what a student may have already found. This could be very useful in a subjet such as Visual Arts when looking for inspiration. Or what about wanting to find out about an artist's work? Drag in an image and you should get results that lead you to relevant information about an artist.

I wonder if it might also be useful if you are looking for someone (famous, infamous or not so famous). Drag in their image and see what you find...I'm off to try it with a picture of me...after I pass my Class 4 test.

No comments:

Post a Comment